I find life difficult at times. For a long time, I found mornings particularly difficult - just to get to work was a battle, just to get myself motivated for another day - but through all of that I've found a few things that help a lot, in getting through the day, getting through life. I'm telling you these because I am a fellow beggar, looking to find some food! And I want you to know where to find help too.
1) Call out to God, call out to Jesus, for help. God is real! He will hear your prayer.
Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved (in the Bible 3 times - in Joel 2:32, Romans 10:13, and Acts 2:21)
For that difficult period in my life, He heard my prayer for help and salvation every day, and he still does. But these days I find myself getting stronger:
Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
2) Understand that you are saved by faith in Jesus Christ, not by doing good works or balancing up the scales by achieving something. To really understand this, read Paul's epistle to the Romans, or Galatians gives the short version. In fact, all of Paul's letters in the Bible emphasize this fact, as do John's letters also in the New Testament.
3) Deal with sin by putting your trust in Jesus. Jesus' blood, shed for you on the cross, is all that can cleanse sin and the past from our lives. Pushing uncomfortable thoughts away, burying them, avoiding them, will not work, but faith in Jesus will.
4) Place your hopes on Jesus. Jesus' resurrection is what gives hope, ultimately, not anything else we can think or do or wish for or imagine or hope for. We can trust God for everything else!
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
5) Read the Bible. It really is God's word, and through the words of the Bible God is able to help you and speak to you. I can't emphasize this enough - God is a living God - and He can and will speak through this book that He caused to be written. He cares enough to speak to you personally.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-19 (Yes God wants us to do good works, but these are the result of our salvation, not the cause of it.)
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105
6) Talk to a wise counsellor - a Christian. Someone who will tell you points 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5! Someone who will guide you to follow in Jesus' way.
7) Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and love your neighbour as yourself. Love is, after all, what it's all about.
God is love. 1 John 4:16